Everyone who wants to know more details concerning the history of the church is invited to ask to the church shop the following book “Biserica Sfântul Nicolae din Șelari“, Old Church of Bucharest (Vechile biserici ale Bucureștiului) colection.
- 1664-First historical info
- 1676-The first document that speaks without any denial of the church dedicated to Saint Nicholas of suburb Selari, dated 4 March 1676
- 1700-The old church was demolished and rebuilt…
- 1802-In 1802 during the great earthquake of St. Paraskeva (14 October), St. Nicholas Church Selari fell down to the ground…
- 1804-The church was rebuilt for the second time…
- 2013-2014-Currently the restoration of the painting are completed in 70%.
St. Nicholas Church Selari age is suggested by the presence of a church in the middle of one of the major shopping areas of the city, which primarily served residents in the immediate vicinity and not to a specific guild. Historical data before 1700 are very scarce, so we can only estimate the date when the church was born.
The first document that speaks without any denial of the church dedicated to Saint Nicholas of suburb Selari, dated 4 March 1676. This document is a deed of sale in which certifies that the church there: Neagoe Sacuianul BIV vel governor, one of the chief nobles of the time, his Constandin chancellor sell “a house here in Bucharest, which iaste in suburb Selarilor at the church of St. Nicholas … “
The old church was demolished and rebuilt “… the foundation began with bricks and have built a beautiful church as shown by the end ….”. Contributed to this “… vel cupbearer Serban Cantacuzino, Iorga Starosta and Apostle Lazar …”
In 1802 during the great earthquake of St. Paraskeva (14 October), St. Nicholas Church Selari fell down to the ground “… it was so powerful that many towers fell on the holy churches and other churches fell all . Here in Bucharest were the Coltea high tower felt down, which was the glory of the city and of the communal mansion and escaped hefty little price … “
Two years later, in 1804 the church was rebuilt for the second time with the congregation through constructive efforts Polizu Gheorghe Hagi, Gheorghe Dumitru Nicolae Zacharias during Lord Constantine Alexander Ypsilanti, at the time of Mitropolit Dositei Ionico. On August 28, 1804, the downtown area was hit by a serious fire. This devastating fire damaged the church but parishioners homes and shops in the church obtained the amount of money, affecting the material possibilities of the church and parishioners but also made it difficult fundraising action to restore shrine destroyed two years ago.
Currently the restoration of the painting are completed in 70%. After completing restorations, Church of St. Nicholas Selari will fully regain its past brilliance, becoming one of the churches and monuments representing the city.